Mount Ruapehu is located on the slopes of Mt Ruapehu in Tongariro National Park, a designated World Heritage Site.
Centrally located 3.5 hours drive north of Wellington and 340kms (4 hours drive) south of Auckland. Mt Ruapehu is home to New Zealand’s 2 largest ski areas with accommodation available on the mountain.
Mt Ruapehu have the best access roads of any New Zealand ski field and are suitable for motorhomes.
Whakapapa Ski Field
Whakapapa ski area is on the north-western slopes is New Zealand’s largest ski area, with more than 65 trails across 1050 hectares. Whakapapa is home to New Zealand’s premiere beginners’ area. Happy Valley is a complete learner’s area that is separate to the main ski area so beginners can progress without the worry of faster skiers putting them off. It has its own cafe, rental complex and ski school meeting area. The gentle slope is long enough for you really get the hang of your new sport and there is a slow-moving chairlift that takes beginners to the top of the slope while giving them a chance to rest their legs.
There are 30 groomed trails and a huge variety of off-piste areas that intermediate and advanced skiers and boarders will love. The pinnacles backcountry area is a lift accessed double black diamond area at Whakapapa and is used for the increasingly popular Extreme Competition each September.
- 6kms of sealed road from Whakapapa Village
- Season runs approx. mid June to late October/early November (subject to weather conditions)
- 25% beginners, 50% intermediate, 25% advanced
- NZ’s largest developed ski area (2,224 acres)
- 14 lifts
- Excellent first time facilites (Happy Valley) with separate cafe, rental and teaching areas
Turoa Ski Field
Turoa Ski Area on the south-western slopes holds the title of Australasia’s longest vertical drop and New Zealand’s highest lift. Like Whakapapa, the beginner area at Turoa (Alpine Meadow) is separate to the main ski area, so beginners can learn in a safe environment. However, strong skiers and boarders aren’t neglected. There is a huge variety of terrain, from open runs to gullies and cliffs. If you want to get off the groomers, Turoa has 2 lift-accessed off-piste areas that strong skiers and riders love. And if you want to turn your legs into jelly, we have a run that is 4kms long!
- 17kms from Ohakune
- Season runs approx. July to early November (subject to weather conditions)
- 15% beginners, 65% intermediate, 20% advanced
- 9 main lifts & 4 beginner platter lifts
- Purpose built creche for 2-5 year olds