Wilsons Abel Tasman 5 Day Guided Walk
Take time for the full experience. Explore further into the national park, try some easy enclosed-water kayaking, or relax by the beach.
The following are included in your package tour:
*If you have extra luggage you are sure will not be needed on your trip with us, and you are staying at the same accommodation before and after your trip, you might prefer to leave your luggage there.
The direction of this trip may be reversed on some departures with earlier pick up in Nelson (7.15-7.40am) and Motueka (8.15am).
The earlier pick-up applies to most Wednesday departures and all departures after NZ daylight savings time finishes at the beginning of April.
If start/finish times don’t suit your itinerary, please contact us to make alternative arrangements. All the itineraries can be flexible to accommodate your needs or schedule.
Please confirm the start/finish time with us before you book connecting airline flights.
Important Additional Information
Day prior: The day before your trip begins, please phone the Wilsons Abel Tasman office toll free on 0800 223 582 (0800 ABELTAS) to confirm your pick-up point and time, dietary requirements, and let them know where to deliver your complimentary lodge luggage bag (to be transported to the lodges by boat) and information pack.
Walking each day is optional. You are welcome to travel on any of our scheduled ferry services. This flexibility is perfect for couples or groups with different interests and abilities – some preferring to walk, others to take the boat between lodges.
We reserve the right to alter itineraries, timetables and vessel types. All travel subject to weather and tides which may cause delay/cancellation.
Conditions: Prices are per person, twin/double-share and subject to availability. Prices are correct at the time of submission (Jul 18) but are subject to change without notice. Valid for travel 1 Nov 18 to 19 Jan 19 ex Nelson. Blackout periods may apply. Discount if applicable is included in the advertised price.
Click here for our full terms and conditions.
Day 1: Nelson/Motueka – Awaroa via Totaranui
- Pick-up Nelson (10.15-10.45am) or Motueka (11.30am), or if you are self-driving please meet at our office by 11.30am. Wednesday departures and some low season departures have an earlier start.
- Meet your guide at our Motueka office for a welcome briefing with time for last-minute luggage organisation, before departing to Kaiteriteri by coach.
- 1.00pm: Vista Cruise departs Kaiteriteri for a fast, safe, comfortable cruise along the coastline. Hot and cold drinks, open and enclosed viewing decks, and bathroom facilities on board.
- From Totaranui, walk through mature beech and rata forests, and along secluded golden beaches to the tidal inlet at Awaroa.
- Either walk, if the tide is out, or take a boat ride across the stunning expanses of the largest inlet on the coast.
- At Meadowbank Homestead - Awaroa, right on the edge of the inlet, you’ll be welcomed with pre-dinner drinks and fine food. Here you’ll find comfortable accommodation full of history and kiwi charm.
- Scenic drive to Kaiteriteri – from Nelson 1 hour, from Motueka 20 mins
- Vista Cruise Kaiteriteri to Totaranui – 1.5 hours
- Walk - 2.5 hours (7km / 4.5 miles) including tidal crossing
- Maximum elevation 60m (200ft)
Day 2: Explore Awaroa
- Explore Awaroa Estuary on foot or by kayak (tides permitting)
- Visit early European and pre-European historical sites
- Unwind on the beach
- Relax and enjoy the comforts of Meadowbank Homestead
- Walking – up to 4 hours (optional)
- Kayaking – up to 2 hours (optional)
Day 3: Awaroa – Torrent Bay
- 9.00am (approx.): Leave Awaroa to enjoy a morning walking through native forest with magnificent coastal views, then walk along the golden sands of Onetahuti Beach.
- Continue on to explore the historic sites and picturesque golden cove of Tonga Quarry's beach.
- From Tonga Quarry, walk over a forested saddle and around the Waterfall Trail to Bark Bay.
- Midday, stop for lunch at Bark Bay, taking time out to relax, explore, swim or sunbathe on the golden sands.
- From Bark Bay, walk the most varied section of the coastal track as it winds through shady gullies of mature beech forest, fern grottos, and sunny groves of manuka framing coastal vistas.
- Cross the swing bridge at Falls River and continue on to Torrent Bay.
- Around 4.30pm: A welcome awaits at Torrent Bay Lodge, right on the beachfront. This was the Wilson family’s holiday home, now tastefully extended and renovated to include all modern comforts whist keeping its relaxed, beach holiday atmosphere.
- 11.50am: Board the Vista catamaran at Tonga Quarry. Cruise to Bark Bay to join the rest of your group for lunch or continue on to Torrent Bay.
- 3.00pm: Board the Vista catamaran at Medlands Beach (Bark Bay) to cruise to Torrent Bay.
Day 4: Explore Torrent Bay
- Walk through breathtaking first-generation forest, up to the waterfalls on Falls River
- Canoe or walk around the estuary and visit the peaceful grotto of Cleopatra's Pool
- Walk to the golden expanse of Anchorage Beach and picturesque Te Pukatea Cove, visiting historic Maori sites at Pitt Head along the way
- Relax on the beach at Torrent Bay
- Optional walking – up to 5 hours (10km)
- Optional canoeing – tide dependant
Day 5: Torrent Bay – Motueka/Nelson
- Depart Torrent Bay Lodge at about 9.00am
- Around midday, stop for lunch at a sheltered beach with views of the islands in the Astrolabe Roadstead
- Our driver meets you at Marahau (or Kaiteriteri) to return you to Motueka (4.30pm) or Nelson (5.30-6.00pm)
- Walk 4-5 hours, depending on tides (13-16km / 8-10 miles)
- Maximum elevation 110m (360ft)
- Scenic drive Marahau/Kaiteriteri to Motueka (20 mins) or Nelson (1 hour)